Darebin Falcons Div 2 v Yarra Jets FC
HT Score 0 – 1 FT Score 0 – 5
Sunday 27th May 11:15am Kickoff – Home Match

Darebin Falcons learnt a harsh lesson in failing to take their chances in Women’s Div 2 North-West on Sunday.  The home side dominated the opening half-hour but were unable to convert pressure into goals and ultimately slipped to a 5-0 defeat at the hands of Yarra Jets, although the score-line was flattering in the extreme to the visitors.

Seven rounds into the season the Falcons are yet to find the back of the net and the hoodoo continued here despite the good early movement of Sina Pankoke and Nicky Leitch up front.  Niddie Morgan produced her best display of the season – back to her energetic best on the right flank – and it was no surprise that she was at the heart of most Darebin attacks. With Lucy Parrington playing as a holding midfielder, snapping in and winning tackles, the Falcons’ defence was under little pressure and it appeared only a matter of time until they provided the finishing touch at the other end.

But as the half wore on Yarra grew in confidence and started to get their own passing game going.  And it was they who finally broke the deadlock, just before halftime, as a corner found an unmarked player who made no mistake.

A shell-shocked Darebin emerged from the halftime break determined to wrest back control but their spirits were broken early as Yarra quickly banged in another two goals.  The difference in fortunes – and confidence – between the two teams was illustrated when the visitors’ fourth goal went in courtesy of a huge deflection off Parrington, with the shot previously sailing metres wide.

The damage was done even before a fifth provided a further boost to Yarra’s goal difference and Darebin were left to reflect on a winnable match that had slipped well beyond their reach.

Darebin Falcons Metro v Plenty Valley Lions FC
HT Score 0 – 2 FT Score 1 – 5
Sunday 27th May 1:15pm Kickoff – Home Match

With an extensive fixture change due to the withdrawal of La Trobe Uni, the Falcons Metro team found themselves playing top of the table Plenty Valley Lions for the second week in a row. Having been dealt an 8-0 thumping at the hands of the Lions the week before, the Falcons approached this game with some trepidation but keen to atone for their earlier loss.

The Lions arrived looking buoyant but hadn’t counted on the lessons that the Falcons had taken from their previous encounter. With a restructure in the backline, new tactics in defence and Ange playing upfront, the Falcs felt better prepared if the Lions began an attacking onslaught.

And then there were the superpowers.

Sara’s crosses became higher and longer, Staci’s goal kicks were beautifully lofted and accurate, Pip’s runs down the wing were reminisecent of Speedy Gonzales, Amy and Irena’s hasselling in the middle won every ball, Kristen’s consistent early attacks on goal were so effective the opposition coach was yelling for her to be tagged and Ruth was putting in slide tackles like there was no tomorrow. Unlike the week before, the Falcons were contesting and fighting for every ball.

After battling hard, the Lions scored 2-0 goals prior to half time. But the Falcons left the field for the half time break positive about their game plan and knowing that if they kept up the pressure, a goal would come.

That was the case early in the second half when the Falcons scored a goal that reflected the great teamwork they’d had shown so far. Sina’s cross found Jo in the box who finished beautifully, popping the ball in the back of the net. This was followed by an awesome save by keeper Sal to keep the scoreline at 2-1. Clearly the Lions were rattled and began some undisciplined play, resulting in 3 yellow cards. However they regained their composure to eventually take advantage of a spirited but tiring Falcons outfit to score another 3 goals and take out the game.

But there were promising signs for the team who finished the game feeling like they had all gelled well and were destined for better results for the rest of the season.