The girls took on the Western Suburbs at home this weekend. In what was a fantastic contest the Falcons side came out on top. Check the write up for a full wrap up of the match and some action shots of the girls…



1008923_1_MDarebin Falcons soccer team lined up against Western Suburbs inspired by the support of some footy girls on the sidelines and hoping some of the clubs recent success rubbed off !

The Falcons were weakened from the start with Jo going down injured in the warm up, rolling an ankle. With dark menacing clouds circling the ground the game started with Darebin on the attack.

Sarah replaced Jo up front and immediately had an influence  with some strong turns and running. The defence was marshalled well by Brenda, who showed great leadership pulling herself off her sick bed to play! The game was thrown wide open 20 minutes in when Sarah was released down the wing, whipping in an accurate cross for the dangerous Nicky to side foot  home to put Darebin one up. Half time saw the score remain 1-0. 

The second half  began with a wave of Western attacks, most mopped up by the solid defence, however the heavy ground took it’s toll on the aging legs and Suburbs equalised. The threatening rain then arrived with some force and both teams struggled to maintain structures in the downpour. Linda suffered and shivered on the sidelines running the line and supporters dashed for cover!

The match appeared to be heading for a draw when Western stepped up a notch and started to threaten the tiring Falcons, several shots just sneaked past Ruth’s posts, one shot dipped and swerved and clipped the bar as it headed over! 

1008935_1_MDarebin continued to believe and  push forward on the counter attack. With 4 minutes to go Nicky took a quick throw in to start an attack down the left, she then latched onto the resulting through ball and shot for goal; the ball was deflected by Maria back into Nicky’s path,time appeared to stand still as she swung at the ball and saw it sail over the keeper into the back of the net…2-1!

Great excitement on the sidelines and on the ground reached fever pitch and the Falcons defended valiantly to the death! With 30 seconds to go , Western got a another corner, the ball whipped across the area and ricocheted between desperate players from both sides, eventually being cleared off the line by Ange!

The whistle blew and the Mighty Soccer Falcons sung the song with unique gusto and style!