VFLW Round 8 vs North Melbourne

Darebin Falcons 3.4-22 def by North Melbourne 7.5-47

The Falcons came out strongly this week but were left ruing some missed chances going down to North by three goals.

The VFLW squad were honoured to wear the black arm bands to commemorate Darebin Life Member Ann Rulton who passed away this week.  Before the match, Darebin Life Member Sal Rees came into the rooms to speak with the team about the incredibly significant impact of Ann Rulton’s time with the club.  Sharing more about Ann’s contributions to the club from when Fairfield were one of only 4 teams in the VWFL, building to the brilliant successes of the Darebin Falcons.   As Ann Rulton had been there on the sidelines for the Round 1 exhilarating win, it was bitter pill for the team not to get the win this week.

The squad faced some significant changes this week, losing a significant amount of experience with the outs of Angelica Gogos (hand), Nicole Callinan (hamstring) and captain Stephanie Simpson (H&S protocols).  It was timely however to see the return of Rachel Hibbert, as well as Mikayla Plunkett and Alice Caddy back from injury.

Darebin looked comfortable to be back at Bill Lawry Oval, and definitely had the best of the first quarter.  Alyssa Misfud was a strong target all game, taking a beautiful juggling mark for her first goal, and getting on the end of a great co-ordinated attack for her second goal of the match.  North got a couple of quick goals late in the first half to get back within one point half time.

In the second half both teams showing good intensity and effort.  Darebin worked hard to move the ball.  Naomi Celebre put the Falcons in front when a free kick took her from the boundary to the goal square.  Rachel Hibbert had a shot that was just off line.  The Falcons went into the last break 5 points down.  The last quarter, North piled on the pressure.  The Falcons battled valiantly throughout the quarter, trying to run some momentum back but under pressure had some wayward passes.

View from the Couch:

Captain Steph Simpson battled internet issues from the couch as she was ruled out due to health and safety protocols.

“It was a great start led by Lynch and mids.  We were able to control the ball movement well, and our forward pressure meant we had 11 inside 50s to 4 in that first quarter.  Our backline did well to withstand pressure and not concede any goals.  Was also pleasing to see a good start to the second quarter, creating scoring opportunities.  What a lovely passage of play and link up from Dicko to Mik and inside 50 to Mifsud who scored goal from the set shot. 

Those 2 goals from North really hurt us before half time.  Second half was a really tough battle. North started to link up very well after half time and apply some scoreboard pressure which proved too much for us in the last quarter where North ran away with the game. It was pleasing though that the team continued to work hard until the final siren”.

The squad will be keen to see the return of their captain, and hopefully vice captain Callinan after the Easter break.  Ange Gogos will also be looking to set a return date after hand surgery this week.  Darebin are left still chasing a few more wins to secure a finals chance, and will face some of the top 6 teams over the next few rounds.

Next match will be Sunday 24 April, Darebin playing St. Kilda at Trevor Barker Oval, 12 noon


All live VFLW matches in 2022 can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/AFLVictoria

Keep up to date through the 2022 VFLW app

Want to find out more about the Darebin Falcons?